Friday, September 6, 2013

Strollers... What's the Big Deal?


A friend of mine posted on Facebook yesterday a picture of her daughter in a new stroller she bought. She confessed to now owning 6 strollers, including a double stroller when she only has the one child (and no plans for any others). I can somewhat understand her reasoning that different strollers can make different situations or locations easier- if I'm going to the zoo I'd rather bring a jogging stroller or 'large' stroller, whereas if I am popping into a store I'd rather have a lightweight or umbrella stroller. Sure, fine. But 6?!

My son and I went to the used baby item store last week to pick him up some clothes for the impending change in weather. Every time I have gone into this store in the last 7-8 months I have checked out what strollers they have in hopes of finding a lightweight stroller with a basket, perhaps that reclined. I found one! Finally! The tag on it said they wanted $90 for it, which I thought was insanely steep, but I had been looking for so long and it had everything (and more) than I had wanted. My son made the decision for me when he started walking away with it toward the other end of the store. I gave in and bought it, but made sure to use my 20% off coupons and ended up paying just $100 for 3 shirts, 2 jeans, a sweatshirt, 3 pajamas and this stroller. (Not bad!)

I recognized the brand name on this stroller while at the store, which really is what pushed me toward taking it home with us, but what I discovered when I did a little 'Googling' at home was shocking. This stroller was only 1 of 1000 produced, originally selling for $400 each and selling now, in 'OK' condition for $600! For a stroller?!



Forgive me if I am missing something , but I just cannot wrap my head around why anyone would spend a substantial amount of money ($400-600) on a stroller. According to my research, these strollers come with a lifetime warranty, and if it needs work done MacLaren will come pick it up and lend you a 'rental' stroller in the meantime. This among other small perks and quirks make this stroller so much more expensive than others I have found, including four reclining positions, four wheel independent suspension and a 99% UV protective viewing window in the hood.

When I presented this information to my husband, without batting an eyelash, he told me to sell it. "Sell it, take the money and buy a 'cheapy' stroller to use." But I had been looking for almost 8 months, and this was the first one that fit my needs! So, a week later, I still have it, and have used it twice now. Admittedly my heart jumps anytime it gets a little dirty, but I still have the mentality that it's 'just a stroller'.

I posted on my Facebook page about having purchased this stroller and finding it ironic that I was too scared to use it in case something happened to it. A friend of mine (different from the one that now owns 6 strollers) commented asking what kind of stroller it was as 'unique strollers are always intriguing' to her.

I suppose the intrigue in high end, unique or 1 in 1000 strollers is something that interests some people, but is lost on me. I have never been into shoes, designer anything, and LOVE bargain shopping; strollers just don't do it for me. But throw me into the clearance section at Target with a handful of coupons and I'm willing to throw an elbow or two in order to get what catches my eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment