Sunday, October 27, 2013

Running with a Jogging Stroller: My Top 10 tips

It's official- I have signed my son and I up for our first 5k together!

I have participated in other 5k runs for charity in the past, but since having my son and moving to a town that hosts very few events we can attend together, this will be a first for the two of us.

Before I had my son I loved working out- I would work out on my treadmill and Total Gym sometimes 3 or 4 times a day. When I got pregnant I switched to doing yoga once or twice a day. About 8 weeks after my son was born I tried to get in a work out on my treadmill and was met with a decreased milk supply and an infant that hated the taste of the lactic acid my work out pumped into my breast milk, so my days of working out went out the window. I resigned to eating healthy and burning calories by chasing my son around all day.


Recently my mother came out to visit. While here she urged me to go on a run with her at a local nearby park. While it was a short run, I immediately felt the familiar high of working out and decided it was time to get back into the swing of things. With my son now 12 months old, my milk supply fully established and finding myself going stir crazy being at home for most of my day I have added at least a half hour work out to each morning.

I have started out mostly running at home on the treadmill. While I figure it is a great way to get my body used to the motions and stresses of running that it has been missing for the last (almost) 2 years, it is becoming a deadly game of hopscotch. My son has always been terrified of loud or mechanical noises from things he doesn't understand- he cries hysterically every time I vacuum. I knew the first time he saw me use the treadmill would cause a similar reaction so I turned it on the lowest setting and let him explore it... Bad idea. He loved it. He wanted to walk and walk and walk and never get off. When I was able to convince him to let me give it a try he then began throwing toys and objects at my feet to watch me step on them and then see them fly off the back. I tried the barricade maneuver to block off an area around the treadmill, which tragically bombed. I even had to carry him while I speed walked one morning, just so I could get my mile in without him crying for me. I resigned to setting him up in his room across the hall with a billion toys to play with while I ran- with one hand on the baby monitor.

Now that I am getting a little of my strength back and my legs are a little more use to the motions again I have started to take my son with me to the park for my jog/run in the mornings.

With the 5k looming over my head I have a need to get to know my jogging stroller a little more intimately. With that in mind I began to seek advice, so I can be as prepared as I can in the next 3 weeks. So here are my 10 tips and tricks to running (or jogging) with a jogging stroller:

1. Get a Good Jogging Stroller- 4 wheel strollers are just not safe at fast speeds. If the stroller wasn't made to do it, then why risk it?

2. Use the Safety Features- Lock the front wheel so you don't risk the stroller turning suddenly and crashing. Wear the wrist strap that links you to the handlebars- don't risk the stroller getting away from you, especially with your child in it. If you stop, put on a wheel break or two.

3. Age Range- It is recommended that you not take your baby out on a jog with you until they are around 8 months old. They must be able to hold their own head up. If you hit a bump or a dip it could pose a risk for an infants neck. Despite some companies saying it is okay to jog with your baby at 6 months of age if they are in a stroller with a car seat adapter and the infant is in the car seat and thus has neck support, I don't think this would help too much in terms of big bumps or sudden dips.

4. Maintain Your Stroller- Check the tires, for loose screws, etc. before every run. There is nothing fun about a wheel coming off and having to lug your broken stroller AND your child back home or to your car.

5. Think of Your Child First- Dress them appropriately for the elements, bring water and a snack (if you're going to be out a while), and most importantly strap your child in with the full harness.

6. Have Realistic Expectations- Pushing a stroller while jogging adds a great amount of weight that also requires upper body use. You will not be able to weave through people or handle going downhill the way you can while running alone. You won't be able to run the pace you are used to while running alone, so if you're running against the clock, know that your times will be slower by usually one minute per mile.

7. Remember Your Running Form- Make sure when running downhill you keep your chest up to combat some of the force the heavy stroller and gravity will put on you. You should be pushing with your legs, not your arms. Keep your arms close, if you find them stretched in front of you pushing the stroller you are likely hunched. And don't go faster than or on a course that you may not be able to control or stop your stroller.

8. Swing Your Arms- If you are pushing a double stroller you will probably need to keep both hands on the handlebar, but if you use a single and like to pump and arm, make sure to alternate your pushing a pumping arms.

9. Plan Your Run- It's probably best not to go on a jog with your little one right before or during a meal time. If your little one tends to fall asleep in the stroller, perhaps going during a nap time is best. Be prepared to occasionally have to mix things up though. If your little one decides they want out of the stroller, you may have to stop to let them run around for a bit. Also, nursing moms may want to nurse before a run to avoid discomfort (and if you baby is picky about not nursing after a work out due to lactic acid, like mine is, then this is a great idea).

10. Don't Get Discouraged- Running with a stroller is hard. It is uncomfortable and difficult to get used to at first. Once you get into the swing of things, it really is wonderful being able to exercise while introducing new scenery to your little one.

No comments:

Post a Comment