Sunday, November 17, 2013

Growing Pains in a Toddler or Young Child

I remember the ache from growing pains in my legs that I got periodically when I was a kid. It's an irritating pain that persists no matter what you do. I can most liken it to that obnoxious feeling that you get when you hit your funny bone, just in your knees/legs and it does not dissipate after a few out loud 'Ouch-Ouch-Ouch's.

Most articles suggest that children that are prone to the aches of growing pains will feel them around 3 years of age and again between 8 and 12. There are, however, numerous parents that suspect their child feels these pains as early as 1 year old. Just shy of 12 months old I suspected that my son began feeling the effects of growing pains. He began having trouble sleeping, would sometimes whine when I tried to get him to stand and would pat his legs while crying. He responded very well to me massaging his legs/knees and using a small heating pad when I tried it one day after a bout of crying ensued when I tried putting him on the ground standing.

So I have compiled the 'what to know's' of growing pains in a toddler or young child:

What are Growing Pains? There is no evidence the growing pains are at all related to growth. They do, however, seemed to be exacerbated by a lot of physical activity. They also tend to be an issue in the evening before bed. 

How do I treat them? A warm compress, massage and light stretching often helps. If the pain is unbearable it is typically OK to give a dose of children's acetaminophen, but I personally use this as a last resort. (One Doctor recommends not over-doing the comforting, however, as a young child may associate crying at night with attention and massage.)

How do I know if the pain is from Growing Pains? The pain is typically felt in the calf, the front of the thigh or behind the knee. A Doctor usually diagnoses Growing Pains based on age, where the pain is located, and how the child reacts when the legs are touched. If the pains are a concern blood work and X-rays may be ordered, but will show no abnormalities if the pains are caused by Growing Pains.

When should we see a Doctor? If your child is limping, has a fever or redness and swelling, unusual tiredness or joint pain it is time to seek medical attention. If the pains persist or are seemingly unbearable it's best to speak to your child's pediatrician just in case they suspect there is an underlying issue that should be checked out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment