Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Crafting and Nursery Decorating

I come from a family of artistic people. My Grandmother used to make all of us grandkids beautiful personalized t-shirts. My dad used to amaze me with his pumpkin carving, canvas painting and beach sand sculpting skills. My sister is an fantastic painter and cook. As for me, I pride myself in my sewing, scrap booking, and baking. In short- I love crafting and creating.

When I found out I was pregnant I was overcome with excitement in planning my child's nursery and planning all of the things I could make for them. By the time I was 5 months pregnant I was essentially done creating the nursery.

I was looking online for ideas and at examples of other nurseries, when I spotted these beautiful birch tree wall designs. I immediately ordered some, threw on a face mask and painted one wall of the nursery a light grey color. I knew I wanted the color scheme to be black, white, and grey with an accent color. I chose red for a boy, and pink for a girl. When I found out I was having a boy, the red birds were added to the birch trees along with other accent pieces, like the rug and a red blanket for my rocking chair.


    


I am in love with how my sons nursery turned out. Some things have changed and lots has been added to it since his arrival. The changing table has moved downstairs, and the dresser now serves dual purpose as a dresser and changing table. There is a bookcase where the changing table once sat, and my sons collection of toys and books has taken over the shelves. My son loves to play in his room, and naps peacefully in it during the day. Hopefully one day soon he will be sleeping through the night in there. 

Before my sons arrival I set out to make him a couple handmade items for him to use, and cherish. First on my list was a teddy bear. His crib bedding is black minky fabic. I found the same fabric at my local craft store in both black and red and I found a sewing pattern online, that I printed and copied onto the fabric with ease. For my first time making a stuffed bear, it turned out wonderfully, and matches my sons room decor beautifully. 



My favorite project thus far that I made for my son is his monster blanket. 

While visiting my mother is San Diego she took me to her favorite local fabric store. While there I found this adorable fabric with monsters printed on it. I paired it with a red polka-dot fabric for the backing and created this whimsical blanket. My son used it for tummy time when he was real little, and uses it now as a nap time blanket. 



Long story short, I have enjoyed the opportunity to make and craft things for my son to use and enjoy. I have a few more projects in mind, and am waiting to find enough down time to tackle them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment